Duct Tape backpack
The Duct Tape Wiki
March 23, 2019 – 05:41 am
Duct Tape backpack ftw by christinasamos on DeviantArt
There are many different ways you can make a backpack. This first tutorial will show how to make one messenger bag style.
Supplies needed for this backpack:
Almost a whole roll of Duct Tape
Two magnetic purse clips (I found these at Michaels)
Pairs of magnetic buttons for extra pockets (The stronger the better)
First make the 5 side sheets of the bag. These sizes were generated from the size of all the notebooks I carry with me at school. If you need more or less space in your bag feel free to change the two side pieces and the bottom from 5" to something else.
Front and back - 11" by 15"
Left and right - 5" by 11"
Bottom - 5" by 15"
Tape the 5 pieces together per the sizes. So tape the short edges of the left and right pieces to the short edge of the bottom. 15" sides of the front and back to the long edge on the bottom, and then fold all the sides up and tape them together. If some of the sides are longer than others trim those now and then reinforce the seams by taping the top edge.
Height - 16"
Bases - 15" and 10"
Now make the top flap that will fold over the top of the bag and clip to the front with the magnetic purse clips. I made it a trapazoid but feel free to change it.
Tape the top flap to the top of the back piece (the 15" edge)
My clips had two metal tabs that you're supossed to put through the fabric, then put a washer on it, and fold the tabs down. I added 4 layers of tape right where I was attaching the clips for strength and cut two slots in the tape a little smaller than the tabs so it would be nice and tight when I pushed the clips through.
Attach the magnetic clips to the two remaining corners on the top flap, then use these to guess where to place their pairs on the front of the back pack.
Make it as long as you want it to be plus ~12" on both ends so you can attach it to the backpack. I made mine 52" + 2x12" but I'm also 6'1" so you will probably want it shorter than that.
Make a 2" wide strip for the strap.
UPDATE: This is almost required. Otherwise the strap gets sticky and leaves residue on everything you wear. (Can we say $300 letterman jacket?)
If you want you can wrap the strap in 4" wide duct tape (I got this at the local hardware store) so it doesn't peel and get sticky on the edges.
To attach the strap to the backpack use tape and staples and attach the 12" on each end to the the two side pieces of the backpack.
You might also like
Duct Tape Backpack|Sophies World
How to make a Duct tape backpack Part 1
Gear Aid Tenacious Tape for Fabric Repair, Black
Sports (Gear Aid)
- Quality field tested to help you in during your outdoor situations
- Easy to use and transport
- Built for the most extreme situations
- Ultra-strong repair tape with aggressive adhesive fixes rips, holes and gashes in your outdoor gear
- Makes quick repairs to outdoor gear in the field; just peel and stick
- Sticks to almost any surface and is great for repairing camping gear, sleeping bags and pads, clothing, and vinyl rafts
- Instantly seals leaking seams and stops rips from spreading
- Available in 3 x 20 rolls; clear, black, dark blue, sage green and platinum white
Duck Brand 280979 Penguins Printed Duct Tape, 1.88 Inches x 10 Yards, Single Roll Color: Penguins Size: Single Roll, Model: 280979
- Make your next quick fix stand out
- Excellent for crafting, fun and imaginative projects
- High performance strength and adhesion characteristics, yet tears easily by hand without curling
- Works on a variety of surfaces, including wood, vinyl, plastic, leather, metal and laminate
- Additional prints available in Florals, Trends, Food, Animals, Seasonal/Holiday, Geometric/Pattern
UST Duct Tape Rolls (Pack of 2), Orange
Sports (UST Brands)
- Two rolls of duct tape have hundreds of uses in emergency situations
- Compact, coreless rolls are lightweight and easy to carry
- Easy to tear, no scissors required
- Waterproof, strong and durable
- Bright orange color
Bazic 1.88 X 10 Yard Fluorescent Colored Duct Tape, Assorted Colors, Pack of 6 Size: Fluorescent Colored, Model:
- Bright Color Duct Tape
- 6 Rolls
- 1.89 X 10 Yard assorted
- Multipurpose use
Duck Brand 1265019 Color Duct Tape, Neon Orange, 1.88-Inch by 15 Yards, Single Roll Color: Neon Orange Size: Single Roll, Model: 1265019
- Make your next quick fix stand out
- Excellent for repairs, crafting, and imaginative projects
- Tears easily by hand without curling and conforms to uneven surfaces
- Excellent adhesion to a wide variety of surfaces like cloth, vinyl, leather, plastic, metal &
- Color Duck Tape roll measures 1.88 inches wide by 15 yards long - Single roll